Conservation is mainly about protecting the remaining especially environmental and cultural. The concern by American scientists, political leaders and business elites in 1900 on the depletion of forests, soil minerals, and water resources led to the formation of the conservation movements. The movements were advocating for the foreseen environmental violations.
Conservation surfaced as a form of applied science from the fields of forestry, agronomy, geology, and hydrology. However, the conservation of the late 18th and 9th centuries were very different from that of the late 21st century.
The natural changes would be managed by the earth’s eco-system, however, to due to irreversible human impacts on environment thing have changed. From the 20th century conservation persisted but changed to objective preserving which is now focused on sustainable conservation.
Human impact on natural and cultural resource has caused a great a negative impact caused by the irreversible rapid climate change. However, the other side indicate that its human activities to resist the rapid climate change which awoke conservationist.
Because most of the natural impacts on the environment are man influence, again man had to put possible solution to ensure sustainability of nature and cultural resources. The objective of conservation existed to guide and became human role.
There are three major reasons why we should conserve;
- To maintain species diversity
- To repair some of the damages caused by human activities on the environment
- To look for opportunities of the conserved
Conserve to maintain species diversity
Right from the initiation the conservation movements in 1900s, the main aim was to conserve the traditions (natural and cultural). The natural resources depletion is a not a natural has the nature was formed with its balanced eco-system. There arise a reason to maintain the availing of species diversity and this was the major aim for the protectionism mechanism of gazetting zones. Among the zones are the national parks and game reserves, Ramsar Sites (swamps and wetlands), and forest reserves.
These are hubs for various wild species (flora and fauna). The reason of conservation to maintain species diversity is obvious to protect wildlife biodiversity in its natural state for the next generation. The International Union for Nature Conservation declared it that there some wildlife species which can survive under captivity like Zoo. And these species have remained endemic to certain natural environment (forest, swamps and parks or reserves). For instance, mountain gorillas remained endemic to the Bwindi Impenetrable forest and the Virunga Conservation.
Conservation has maintained the eco-system balanced amidst human activities. It has helped to identify possible threats to nature and how best to combat such. Maybe if conservation wasn’t considered more and more wildlife species would extinct affecting the biodiversity of the nature.
As well with the cultural aspects, conservation of traditional and cultural resources has helped to keep the heritage of areas, ethnicities and nations.
Repairing damages caused by human activities on environment
Almost the all eco-system of the earth has been affected by human activities. Some of the impacts are seemed irreversible, of which some are natural on air, water bodies that threaten the biodiversity. So, human activities have kept on doing the more harm than good.
So scholars have revised possible ways of how to repair the both reversible and irreversible impacts. One of the best form for conservation in the name of repairing the damages is sustainable conservation. However, with repairing is about restoring what was lost.
Activities done with restoring include;
- Replanting and reforestation to sustain the wildlife habitat of forests, wetlands, creek beds and other habitats.
- Eradicating invasive species for example, some of the places like national parks particularly Queen Elizabeth National Park Mweya peninsular was invaded by an invasive plants. Only these plant species can be solved when eradicated.
- Awareness to the public about the impact of human activities on environment
- Replenishing the eco-system. Some of the species have been replaced to destinations where they once lived and this has helped to restore back the natural eco-system balance.
Opportunities for conservation
Conservation mean a great work which needs skills, research, security, manpower and finance. For all conservation movement and activities at least suggest a sustainable conservation which at least can have a gut to support its other conservations efforts.
For sustainable conservation several protected areas have been open for activities like tourism to enable bring in some income to help in the conservation work. National Parks, game reserves and forests are very important tourist destinations that have displayed a chance of encountering nature. Some amount is collected at the park for park entrance and doing activities in them. The amount collected is drawn in the government treasury and used for conservation planning and handling all matters.
There are several amazing opportunities of conservation;
- Employment opportunities; these comes through conservation efforts, in research, planning and implementing conservation efforts.
- Conservation areas are major tourist hubs. Around the world conservation areas like game parks and game reserves are the major tourism centers beside cultural and other natural wonders
- Preserves natural resources for the future generation
- Conservation has played a big role in slowing the climatic change
Our role in conservation looks bring out the outlined results. Rampant activities that have resulted into global warming are mainly human activities. However, we need to be considerate and very cautious on what comes next if we don’t harken to conservations.
Our role in conservation are;
- To foresee the impact on natural and cultural resources. The impact can either be the positive or negatives, and this is done in form of assessing, and evaluating.
- Planning the best tools in conservations and resolving how best these tools can be implemented
- Financing conservation efforts; several efforts that include research, planning, implementing and monitoring programs involved in conservation.
- Monitoring all the conservation set programs; this is about ensuring that the right conservation mechanism are used, right chemical are applied, nature is not violated.