What to wear during your visit to Uganda?
What to wear during your visit to Uganda?, As you plan for your safari to Uganda. It is important that you consider some key factors on which to base as you select types/kinds of clothings and shoes to pack for your trip.
Some of these factors may include the season of travel (dry or wet), the social/cultural set up of the region of interest. The nature of activities that you would like to take part in, your comfort, colors, style and so many others. In this article, you will get some guidance on what to wear during your visit to Uganda. What to wear during your visit to Uganda?, It would be really awesome for you to get the best possible comfortable and memorable experience during your safari and these guidelines will be very helpful.
Tips for women’s selection of clothes to pack
- It is advisable to pack casual and comfortable clothes for your safari. Avoid short, tight or revealing clothes.
- Ensure to pack a long skirt (one or more) or loose fitting trousers. Because they are suitable to wear both during the hot and cold weather.
- Avoid carrying valuable/expensive jewellery for your safari. This is for your personal safety and also reduces any possible risk of theft of your property.
- Pack enough socks and underwear made from natural fabrics such as cotton. You should bear in mind that if you re-use them when sweaty. You will be at a risk of getting fungal infections such as athlete’s foot.
- If you plan on taking part in hiking or other outdoor activities, feel free to pack some athletic attire.
- Carry a sarong with you to tie over your shorts or leggings especially when going to the rural areas. Also, pack a pair of biking shorts to wear under your skirts or dresses. This will save you from any sort of embarrassment that may come from the wind blowing over your clothes.
Tips for men’s selection of clothes to pack
- It is advisable to carry light cotton trousers which dry quickly and weigh less. These will definitely provide the comfort that you need for your travels. Alternatively, you may carry a safari trouser which is usually made from a synthetic material that offers UV protection, is convertible and is very comfortable.
- In Uganda, it is acceptable for men to wear shorts especially when moving into the savannah plains. There are some societies/cultures that consider them to be inappropriate but it is okay to put them on (preferably those that cover the knees). However, long trousers are still necessary to provide protection from insect bites and coldness.
- It is also recommended to pack t-shirts, polo shirts and long sleeved shirts for your safari. All these worn according to the weather and situation.
- Pack enough socks and underwear that are made from natural fabrics such as cotton. You should bear in mind that if you re-use them when sweaty, you will be at a risk of getting fungal infections such as athlete’s foot.
What are the best shoes to pack for your Ugandan safari?
- If you plan on going for hiking or trekking, it is important that you pack thick-soled comfortable waterproof hiking boots with a good ankle support. These are necessary for protecting your feet from any injuries that may be caused by thorns, insects or any harmful objects during your hike or trek.
- While packing for your safari, make sure that you pack comfortable walking shoes or sandles. It would be even better if the shoes are made of leather and have some ankle support. This will make your walking experiences worthwhile.
Styles to consider while preparing for your safari
- For hot days, advisable to pack lightweight layered clothes which are made from natural materials such as cotton and linen.
- It is important to carry sunscreen, a sunhat and sunglasses for the hot weather.
- For the cold days/nights, it is essential for you to carry a jumper, a sweater or even a scarf to keep warm.
- When you are packing for your safari, try to focus more on your comfort and less on the fashion/style. Ugandans are free and relaxed people which means that most types of clothes are acceptable.
- With regards to regions, western clothes such as jeans and t-shirts are accepted in Kampala and most of the bigger cities. What to wear during your visit to Uganda?, However, as you move outside these cities, getting further into the rural areas, it is advisable for you to dress more conservatively.
- Also, as you pack for your trip, it is better for you to choose light neutral colors such as khaki, light brown, green and others. Try to avoid white clothes since they might get dirty quickly.
- More to that, avoid dark clothes such as blue and black for the jungle because tsetse flies (and other insects) usually attracted to these colors. Tsetse flies are dangerous due to the fact that they spread a disease known as African sleeping sickness. Avoid camouflage as it is illegal for civilians in many areas. Also, avoid animal print clothes since they may alarm the gorillas.
- Ensure that you pack long trousers and long sleeved tops to protect you from the sun and mosquitoes at time. Highly recommended to carry your mosquito/insect repellent.
- If you have a sundowner or a bush breakfast or even a special dinner within your itinerary, you may carry a nice dinner outfit to fit well with the event and make you happy and comfortable.
- If you are a water lover, do not forget to pack your swim suit. There are various opportunities that you may get to enjoy a refreshing swim at places. Like Lake Bunyonyi or swimming pools at some of your chosen hotels. Ensure to pack a swim suit that is comfortable and not so revealing.
Packing according to the regions/activities in Uganda
- If you intend on visiting safari destinations that are located in mountainous areas for instance Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, make sure that you pack clothes with warmer layers and waterproof jackets. Also, carry cotton clothes for comfort during both hot and cold conditions.
- If you are planning on trekking in forested areas such as Kibale Forest National Park (chimpanzee trekking), it is important that you cover your body as much as possible. The purpose of this is to protect your body from insect bites and bruises from thorns or tree branches. Choosing natural light fabrics will work well for you. Wear long sleeved shirts/tops and trousers together with long stockings (which you can pull over your trousers) to prevent insect bites. You may also carry protective gloves and a light rain jacket (for in case it rains).
- If you are planning on going for water activities such as white water rafting on the Nile. It is advisable to wear quick-dry active wear and tight fitting water proof shoes.
- If you are interested in enjoying the night life in Kampala for example visiting the bars. There is no particular dress code but wearing a nice looking shirt/top/dress/pants with decent shoes will do the trick!
What can you use to carry your clothes and shoes for your safari?
It is better to use a soft-sided rucksack for packing your safari clothes and shoes as compared to a hard suitcase. This is mainly because it is easier to fit into smaller planes as well as safari vehicles. Ensure to pack a lightweight day sack or a sling bag as well. What to wear during your visit to Uganda?, You can use this one to carry a few necessities for your game drives, trekking safaris or any other safari activities.
COVID 19 and Ebola travel guidelines
Ensure to follow all the necessary COVID 19 and Ebola travel guidelines. To ensure that you are in a safe and healthy condition during your safari with us. One of our major priority is to provide the best possible safety and comfort during your tour. So please rest assured that you will be in safe hands.
Some of the travel guidelines include wearing and carrying a sufficient number of surgical masks. Moving with an alcohol based hand sanitizer. Vaccination against COVID 19 or taking a PCR test and several others.
Place your booking for your upcoming safari with us today and allow us to transform your safari dream into a beautiful reality. Ensure to follow the packing guidelines as indicated above and if you have any questions, feel free to contact us. We are looking forward to giving you an exceptional and memorable safari experience!